1. Read – Read more books. Read new words in a natural and appropriate context.
2. Read Even More – Seriously, read a lot. Read anything you can: newspapers, magazines, journals, whatever. Find words used in places and ways you would not normally encounter.
3. Make a List – Keep a list of words you read or hear that you are not familiar with. When you have the time, go back and try to learn each word.
4. Crossword Puzzles – Put your vocabulary to the test. Crossword puzzles are challenging and not so easy to cheat on.
5. Vocabulary.com – Learn new words by filling in the blank, matching the picture, and multiple choice.
7. FreeRice.com – Learn vocabulary while feeding the hungry.
8. Vocabby – An illustrated and listening flashcard game for learning words.