1. Make the commitment. Blogging will give you an opportunity to dive deeper into a topic you love. It will improve your writing. It will give you a chance to connect with people, maybe even help some of them out in life. Over time it could even give you a chance at making a decent side income.
2. Pick a niche. What do you want your blog to be about? Picking a niche will help you tap into a community passionate about a topic. Picking broad topics might not keep the reader’s attention because the subject matter can vary from post to post. Check out this post by Zen Habits on finding your style.
3. Buy a domain name. Make sure it’s relevant to what your blog is about. Check out these resources for finding the perfect domain name.
4. Choose a platform. Decide first who you want to blog for. If it’s for yourself, then consider Tumblr or Blogger. If you want to look professional, then WordPress is your best option.
5. Buy hosting. If you’re going the WordPress route, I highly recommend WPEnigine.com. If you’re going another direction, check out Bluehost.com where you get more control over your server. If you’re going with Tumblr or Blogger, they take care of hosting at no cost.
6. Choose a template. If you want to make things look nice, use Themeforest to find beautiful WordPress themes.
7. Create social accounts. Social media helps you get the word out about your blog, and it gives you another way to interact with your audience.
8. Write write write. This is 100% the most important step. Write and write a lot. The more you practice, the better you get, and the more content you have to share with others.
9. Market market market. There are a number of things you can do for marketing including sharing with friends, posting to social media, and buying advertising. Check out this guide on marketing your content.
10. Engage with your audience. Engaging your audience will make your blog feel like a community and will go a long ways towards building a devoted following. Reply to readers in the comments section. Interact on social media.
11. Monetize. Once you start getting some traffic, you can start looking at making some money off of your work. Google Adsense provides banner ads. The Amazon.com affiliate program gives you commissions for selling Amazon stuff. Or you can even build your own products to sell.
Good luck with your blog! Make the commitment today!