1. Bring a journal. Write, draw, get inspired.
2. You should probably pack less than you’re planning. You really don’t need as much stuff as you think. Pack light to stay mobile.
3. Follow the people. If you meet someone, and they invite you somewhere go. If the locals tell you to do something, do it.
4. See less places, and do more at each. Invest time in places to get to know them better.
5. Book your hostels in advance. Hostels are amazing. They are cheap, and you get to meet many like-minded travelers. Since they are so awesome, they get booked fast. Don’t get stuck without a bed.
6. Don’t wear white clothes. They are gonna get really really dirty.
7. Embrace mistakes. They will happen. Laugh them off, try to learn something, and move on.
8. Stray from the beaten track. Spend some time outside the tourist cities. Try to get to know the local culture a little better.
9. Pack a first aid kit. Bring some band aids and extra Immodium. Foreign food can do unpredictable things to an unfamiliar stomach.
10. Never keep your wallet in your back pocket. You’re just asking to be pickpocketed if you do that.